November 28, 2012

Meyer Lemon Bars

 
www.nataliedee.com  (KaceyCooks Meyer Lemon Bars)
Heck Yeahz!
I am wicked keen on lemons.  In fact I also have a deep affection for limes.  I've yet to meet a citrus fruit that I didn't have a weakness for.  By far the lemon rates #1 in my book.  

Even better than a regular lemon is a Meyer lemon. Meyer lemons aren’t really lemons; they’re a hybrid between a mandarin orange and a lemon.  This cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange was developed in China and didn't make its way over to the USA until the early 1900s when some narcissistic dude named Frank Meyer brought them over and named the fruit after himself.

As far as taste, they are slightly sweeter and much less acidic than a normal lemon. They still taste like lemons, (Hello Captain Obvious) they just don’t have the same pucker power that a regular lemon has.  Have you ever baked with Meyer Lemons before?  If not you are in for a treat.

I'm well aware that everyone has a lemon bar recipe that has been handed down by family members throughout the years.  I also know that there isn't a lot of variance from one lemon bar recipe to the next.  It's a buttery crust. (Mmmm, buttah) and a lemon curd-like "filling" that is baked, cooled, dusted with powdered sugar and then inhaled in non-lady-like fashion.  Wait, you don't inhale yours?  Psh..figures.  We're going to have to rectify that, like PRONTO!

Allow me to share something with you that I don't tell a lot of people.  I trust you guys, so here goes: I need to confess that lemon bars truly are the best. It's absolutely true. Is it a burden to be the keeper of the best lemon bar recipe in the world- Yes. Some days it really is.  But now that I've told you guys I'm the gate keeper to lemon bar heaven, I feel like a load has been lifted off my shoulders and I can't wait to share my recipe with you. 

I am well aware that it's getting colder outside, and lemon bars are typically enjoyed in the summer months, but what better way to beat the colder weather blues, or to combat the fact that you haven't seen the sun for a week, or that the temperature in your refrigerator is warmer than it is outside and you need something bright and sunny in your life?  I saw we make lemon bars and add some sunny citrus-y happiness to our day!  Are you with me?  Good!  Let's get busy.


http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_preserved_lemons/
Meyer Lemons

Meyer Lemon Bars
Recipe by: KaceyCooks
Serves 9-12
Bake in 9x9 inch pan @ 350 

You'll need about 3-4 Meyer lemons for this recipe, as they are smaller than regular lemons

CRUST:

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (do not use margarine)
  • 1 cup AP flour
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (use only 1/4 tsp of salt if you use salted butter)
  • 1-2 tsp Meyer lemon zest (depends on how much lemon flavor you desire)

- Mix all ingredients and pat into a 9x9 inch pan (or an 11x7) and bake for 20-25 minutes @ 350 degrees- do not let it go beyond light golden color... While the crust is baking, make the filling.


FILLING:

  1. 2 large eggs, beaten
  2. 1 cup granulated sugar
  3. 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  4. 2 TB flour
  5. 1/4 cup FRESH Meyer lemon juice
  6. 2 tsp. Meyer lemon zest
  7. Mix  all ingredients listed above with stand mixer on medium speed until well combined. Pour over baked crust.
  8. Return to oven for about 20 minutes or until a VERY light golden brown
  9. Cool for 15 minutes and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cool on the counter for about 60 minutes, then finish cooling in the fridge. 
    1. Cut bars before moving pan to fridge- the butter in the crust will cause these to get rather firm, and they are easier to cut when they are at room temperature vs. refrigerated.
KaceyCooks Meyer Lemon Bars- a fantastic twist on a well-known dessert bar.

 


NOTE: I like these bars served cold and I store them in an airtight container in the fridge. The crust is similar to a very buttery, firm shortbread cookie, only better. I'm not sure how long this recipe has been in our family, or if I got it from my grandmother or an Aunt or my Mother. Either way, I've tweaked and adjusted it enough to to where I'm calling it my own, (since it is a family recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nothing makes me happier than people who have thoughts, comments, ideas or questions to share. I look forward to reading all comments and encourage you to leave one...or more. I only ask that you keep it clean and abide by the Golden Rule.