December 6, 2012

Cheesy Orzo with Broccoli


Cheesy Orzo with Broccoli- by KaceyCooks
I've been meaning to try this recipe for months.  I've purchased orzo pasta about 3 times in an effort to *remind* myself to make this but I was lured away by pretty yet shallow recipes that ended up failing miserably and tasting like sod covered in a funky vinaigrette.  Well, no more fru-fru orzo recipes for me, I'm sticking to what I know will taste mahvelous, and cheese and pasta with a little bit of fresh broccoli tastes mahvelous.    


Orzo.  It means "Barley" in Italian.  Cheesy Orzo with Broccoli by KaceyCooks The word orzo is Italian for "barley", which is a reference to the size and shape of the pasta.  Orzo is shaped like grains of rice.  You'd think the Italians would have called it Riso- since that is the Italian word for rice, but oddly enough, they chose to name it after a grain that it isn't shaped like.  Far be it from me to try and figure out the minds of the Italians.  I married one and I'm more bemused now than I was 20 years ago before I met TSM. 

The Parmigiano Reggiano gives this dish a pleasant sharpness and the cheddar-jack and fontina cheeses make it creamy, and the broccoli keeps your waistline smaller.    This is comfort food packaged as a humble little side dish. Heck, I'd eat a bowl of this for dinner for "Meatless Monday".  I'd need to eat again 20 minutes later but at least I was willing to go meatless for 20 minutes.  My final ringing endorsement for this recipe is that TSM even liked it and he abhors broccoli.  I served this with some meatloaf and a side of veggies.  Yum.  Just...Yum!  What will you serve this with?  Iowa Girl Eats hit the jackpot with this recipe, and I think you'll agree!   I made a few minor changes from the original recipe to suit our tastes.



Cheesy Orzo with Broccoli by KaceyCooks
Cheesy Orzo with Broccoli
Recipe adapted from: Iowa Girl Eats

Serves: 3-4
Prep/Cook: 15 minutes (start to finish)


INGREDIENTS:

  • 3/4 cup Orzo I love Barilla brand pastas
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli florets (I didn't have fresh on hand, so I used frozen)
  • 1/3 cup shredded cheddar-jack cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
  • 1-1/2 tsp. butter
  • 1/4-1/2 cup milk
  • Kosher salt & black pepper (to taste)


DIRECTIONS:

  1. Shred your cheeses.  If you bought shredded cheese in a bag, drop; and give me 50.  Okay, I forgive you.
  2. Bring a medium sized pot of well salted water to a boil.  Add the orzo.  
  3. Cook for 3 minutes then add chopped broccoli and cook for 3 more minutes, or until orzo is ad dente to just tender. (Please don't cook it until it is mushy. Mushy, cheesy pasta isn't happiness. It's sadness)
    Drain well (broccoli is well known for holding onto water) then return to the pot. 
  4. Add the cheeses, butter, and 1/4 cup milk then stir well and add more milk if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Cheesy Orzo with Broccoli by KaceyCooks
You're trying to lick the screen, aren't you?



 

2 comments:

  1. I never got along with Meatless Monday, but maybe I could do it your way. Meatless for 20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't play well with meatless stuff, but this side dish could make me reconsider. Oh, that and my Risotto Milanese. I could go meatless if I had a big bowl of that. :)

      Delete

Nothing makes me happier than people who have thoughts, comments, ideas or questions to share. I look forward to reading all comments and encourage you to leave one...or more. I only ask that you keep it clean and abide by the Golden Rule.